Taking Your Car Abroad - What Do You Need?

Other than the UK, Ireland, Cyprus, and Malta, all EU countries drive on the right side of the road. Perhaps you should consider taking some refresher driving lessons worcester for handling your car abroad.

More information on driving lessons worcester available from local driving lesson providers.

Here is the most obvious pointer: make sure you stay on the right side, and overtake to the left. In the beginning, avoid overtaking until you get more used to driving on the right-hand side and to the local driving style of the surrounding motorists.

One of the most challenging tasks you will have to perform is to enter roundabouts in an anti-clockwise direction. Not because it is a hard task. The main issue is your entire mind logic needs to be rewired on the spot. And remember that vehicles already on the roundabout take precedence.

Another important pointer: the most dangerous turn now is the left turn, because this is the turn that crosses incoming traffic.

One thing you need to do before leaving for your holiday on the continent is to adjust your headlamps for driving on the right-hand side. You should search for headlamp converters, they are simple stickers to place on your headlights.

Another important thing is to map your travel plans and find out beforehand how many toll roads you will cross. Even though the Euro has simplified this task quite a bit, some other countries still use their national currencies. Get plenty of loose change before hitting the road.

As for documents, most places in Europe accept an EU or EEA driving licence. While an international driving permit (IDP) is not required, it is recommended you bring it along if you plan on driving in the continent after the current Brexit deadline of 31st of October 2019. Bring along your proof of insurance, as well as your European Breakdown Cover policy number and related documents. Also, your MOT and your vehicle's tax should be valid.

However, check your specific destination, as well as other countries you might be passing through. Most countries require a GB sticker on your car, if it doesn't have number plates including a GB symbol.

Some countries forbid dashboard cameras (Portugal) and radar detectors (Portugal, France, Germany), including your car sat-nav system if the maps display the location of fixed cameras. Germany and Austria also require winter tyres during the winter. Most European countries also require reflective jackets, one for each passenger, all kept inside the cabin.

Pay attention to odd laws as well. Germany forbids wearing headphones while driving. Spain requires a spare pair of glasses for drivers who wear glasses. France requires a breathalyser in your car. Austria, Germany, and France all require a first aid kit.

While it is not mandatory, it is also recommended you also bring a fire extinguisher, a spare fuel can, replacement bulbs, engine oil, a high-quality torch, a blanket, and extra supplies of medication that might be hard to find overseas - along with the doctor's prescription.

And, finally, in case of a no-deal Brexit, you will need Green Card insurance documents too.